Christ Church Philadelphia, known as the birthplace of the Episcopal Church and a historic site for the country, is a progressive and public parish that includes several areas: the worship community, the music program, the farmer’s market, artists and performers who use Neighborhood House, and the thousands of people who come here every year for educational experiences. We have a dynamic and team-oriented staff, dedicated and highly trained lay leaders and volunteers in all aspects of parish life.
We are seeking a full-time Clergy Assistant to the Acting Rector who can partner with us in the range of normal parish activities, as well as support special activities and reflections in this exciting transition year, as we seek a new rector installed
Skills and Gifts for Ministry
• A commitment to working collaboratively and creatively with other staff, clergy and laity
• A mature understanding of one’s gifts for ministry with a call to support others in discovering and sharing their gifts for ministry
- Strong and seasoned preaching skills
• An ability and commitment to work with our programs for youth, young adults (the bridge) and newcomers (Journeys class)
- Tends to own spiritual health and growth while helping others cultivate theirs
• A willingness to lead in times of change and transition
• Exceptional communication skills and basic proficiency in information technology
• A love for developing relationships with people of all ages
• An enterprising person, who has a sense of humor and authenticity in sharing his own faith journey with those he servesResponsibilities and Expectations
• Cultivate Disciples of All Ages: Plan, Lead, and Teach Christian Training
• Assist the Acting Rector and Director of Music with liturgical leadership and support and coordinate with the Director of Music and Parish Administrator
• Preaching and presiding over the Holy Eucharist
• Pastoral care and presence in the sacristy
• Provide pastoral care for all ages
• Prepare and preside over weddings, funerals and baptisms
• Support and contribute to parish communications, including social media
• Participate in weekly staff meetings
• Participate in regular supervision with the acting rector
• Participate in the life and ministry of the Diocese of Pennsylvania Support, salary and benefits
• This is a full time position.
• Housing allowance and allowance provided in accordance with compensation guidelines to assist clergy in the Diocese of Pennsylvania.
• One month, including 5 Sundays, vacation, one week of continuing education
• Other standard clergy benefits, including family leave, health and dental insurance, and pension plan (church pension fund).