Director of Major Gifts
Partnership Schools is a pioneering school management organization shaping the next generation of urban Catholic education. Formed in 2013, the Partnership is a network of eleven urban Catholic schools serving more than 3,300 students in New York and Cleveland. The Partnership is committed to providing underserved students with the academic rigor, values, and skills necessary to break the cycle of poverty and live fulfilling lives. Partner schools provide an excellent education for underserved urban students: 99% of students are students of color, 80% of students receive free or reduced-price lunch, and over 85% of students receive scholarships. The Partnership’s board of directors, donor base and students are people of different faiths, and 48% of our students are non-Catholic. The Opportunity Partnership Schools is at a pivotal moment in its trajectory.
In our first decade, Partnership Schools successfully pioneered an innovative approach to the independent management of urban Catholic schools, an approach needed more than ever. Catholic schools serving working-class families continue to close across the country, even as the pandemic has demonstrated the continued and fundamental strength of these schools and their commitments to students. Because our effective model serves as proof of what is possible, Partnership Schools is accelerating its growth and tenaciously developing philanthropy to increase the number of students served and strengthen the organization’s national impact on the sector.
Partnership Schools seeks an enterprising and innovative Major Gifts Director to help lead the organization’s continued philanthropic growth. The Major Gifts Director will manage a portfolio of established major donors as emerging prospects. S/he will help further penetrate the tri-state philanthropic market. The Director of Major Gifts will join a growing, motivated and collaborative team of five development professionals and a full-time fundraising consultant. Reporting to the Director of Development, the Director of Major Gifts will cultivate and solicit philanthropic giving to fund the short and long term strategic goals of the partnership. The Major Gifts Director will manage a portfolio of new prospects and qualify donors, create a donor pipeline, implement cultivation strategies, solicit major gifts ($10,000+), and effectively manage donors. Working closely with colleagues in the development department, as well as team members across the organization, the Major Gifts Director will develop, execute, evaluate and refine strategies for assigned prospects to maximize their support potential. Since 2015, Partnership Schools has seen its philanthropic support grow from $5.5 million to $16.3 million across our network. Each year we challenge ourselves by increasing our fundraising goals to keep pace with our growing organization. Looking ahead, Partnership Schools is accelerating its philanthropic growth to maximize the impact of the organization. We are activating a comprehensive strategic plan that will establish and sustain an annual program of more than $20 million, and our Major Gifts Manager will play a central role in growing this program from day one. Core Responsibilities
● Manage a portfolio of prospects and individual donors using evidence-based move management strategies and philanthropic best practices. ● Identify new insights through research and data mining; cultivate, solicit and manage major gift prospects to achieve specific activity goals.
● Work with key staff and volunteer stakeholders to cultivate perspectives and develop outreach and culture strategies.
● Establish specific and personalized fundraising plans, including the development and execution of a full range of donor culture activities, including monthly school visits, donor culture receptions, bespoke donation and a large-scale gathering.
● Respond to requests from current and potential donors; maintain relationships with existing donors through regular contact to maintain ongoing engagement.
● Drafted correspondence, reports and proposals.
● Enter call reports into donor database and ensure accurate files of top donors and prospects.
● Participated in weekly lead pipeline and strategy meetings.
● Bachelor’s degree or higher
● Over 7 years of successful individual fundraising experience
● Experience in prospecting, building pipelines and developing leads (geared towards getting five and six figure freebies)
● Experience in successfully managing a large grant portfolio
● Demonstrated track record in soliciting and obtaining five and six figure major gifts
● Energetic strategic thinker with strong execution skills; target oriented
● Ability to prioritize, organize and multi-task with precision in a detail-oriented environment
● Excellent writing, editing and verbal communication skills
● Responsible, diligent and conscientious, with exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail ● Emotional maturity and integrity; courteous professionalism and interpersonal skills
● Ability to maintain confidentiality and manage sensitive documents
● Committed to building credible and lasting relationships with prospects and donors
● Actively open-minded and intellectually curious; committed to getting to know the partner schools well
● Unquestioned integrity and high professional standards
● Excellent written and oral communication skills
● High-level collaborator passionate about the mission of the organization
● Commitment to success in the role and success of the organization
● Actively open-minded and intellectually curious
● Flexible and ready to adapt to changing conditions and direction